Freitag, 29. Juli 2011

Good morning or afternoon :)

Today is not going to be as long - yay!
I have realised, how bad I was talking about things back in OZ. I want to say sorry for that, it is not all that bad ;) I don't know how to explain this one; I know why I am doing it, but it's hard to put into words. I will give it a go anyway. You see, the things that you are familiar with the most - the things that you grew up with - will always seem like the 'right way' of doing things. Everybody who does something different to the way you are used to, will seem strange and a bit 'wrong'. Obviously, there is no perfect culture. Some do things better in one way and others do them better in another, it is about how things eventually work out all together. Living in a different country, tho, is not about two or three little things being done differently but the whole system works completely different - eople had to adjust to their environment (or rather try to make the environment adjust to the people). I have not met a single European, who agrees with the Perth culture. However, some are willing to adjust more than I am and just get over the strangeness not trying to 'convert' others into the way they want it. I couldn't do this and this is why after 3 years of trying to cope with the strangeness, I ended u going back home. Having said that, who knows what you would be thinking, if you lived 3 years in a different culture!? Maybe you would understand, what I am saying here.

Earlier this morning I wrote an email to a friend in Australia. I explained to him, what my work situation was like at that particular moment; My auntie had offered me a job on an assembly line, three shift work (6am - 2pm, 2pm - 10pm, 10pm - 6am, changing weekly), the pay was ok, but it was very hard accessible from where I live, because I did not intend to use the car (although I already had 'driving lessons' on the right side of the road, I am still scared). I would have taken the job, but  I also applied at other jobs (something with kids or somewhere where my English comes in handy), in the hope something comes up. The jobs I applied for have not gotten back to me, yet. However, just while writing that email, my other auntie called, telling me my dad has sorted out another job at his company, pretty much same work - I mean where is the difference between screwing on caps onto perfume bottles or gluing boxes?? :D However, slightly better pay and whatsmore better accessibility, it is 'only' 10km away, meaning I can get there by bicycle and straight away get some exercise in, too. The great thing about this is, my auntie explained to me that if my dad had asked his supervisor yesterday, the job would not have been available - it only became available just before my dad asked. There we go, the universe is sorting things out for me once again :)



Another (hopefully) short topic: Last night one of my best friends called me up. He wanted to go to the cinemas with me, so went to see the 11pm screening of 'bridesmaids' (Brautalarm). Growing up with 90% of movies being dubbed into German (the other 10% being German movies), I never realised how unnatural it is to watch dubbed movies. I couldn't concentrate on the movie at all. I was just concentrating on, how badly the voices were synced with lip movement and facial expressions. In many instances I could lip-read what the person actually was saying in English and it pissed me off that it came out in German words. I don't think I will ever enjoy cinemas as much as I used to before I left Germany. Here cinemas are a much more affordable activity and back in high school we went to the cinemas at least once a week if not up to 3 or even 4 times. I can't see that happening anymore for me, the dubbing is just too much of an issue. I hope there are cinemas around that have screening of the original versions or else I will just continue not to go to cinemas anymore, which really would be a shame :(

Ok, that's it for today.

Have a great day/evening.
T

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen